Sunday, February 03, 2008

Freedom without fear

We should have the freedom to live our lives with dignity and access to healthcare. Just because we are positive, does not make us different from others. It does expose us to stigmatism created by ignorance and fear of the unknown.

How many of us fear rejection because of our status? Turned away from potential jobs and even rejection from our peers and families in some cases.

We can not allow fear to rule our lives and take our right to quality life. I have been through all of that, I was at a stage where I allowed fear to rule my life which almost cost me my life.

Fear brings on depression and ill health, ask me I know. During this period I wrote some of my darkest poetry which always somehow ended on a positive note.

No matter how bad the adversaries has been, I have always bounced back.

Don't let people take advantage of your fear of been HIV+ in any situation like I did.

You have to make a stand for yourself and your own health!

Its cost me allot to be out about my status but its been worth every second and I don't regret even making the decision of outing myself since 1995.

I have even had a gun held to my head about 13yrs ago and almost shot because of rumours that I had infected someone who found my address and took it upon himself to settle a score which I had nothing to do with.

No trigger was pulled, its by grace that I got out of the situation. That person regretted his ignorance and I have forgiven him and have embraced him as a person directed by gossip. Today, I cant even remember what he looks like.

Only when he realised that I was not straight and had never seen his girlfriend did he realise he jumped the gun which opened the doors for me to openly tell him how I was infected.

I also had a choice but I would never infect someone else. I have always informed people of my status and have made my status know on national TV and a local radio station. Not for my glory but to educate and inform others that they can live life to the fullest.

If we would just accept each other and embrace those who are suffering.

Show humanity to all.

No comments: