Sunday, June 29, 2008

Eulogy For My Dad And Mom

We are gathered here to today to celebrate the life of Derek Farrell, husband, father, uncle, grandfather and friend to many.

My father always taught me to love life to the fullest and be humane and humble to all. It’s better to give than receive. His integrity and devotion as a husband was unquestionable. His love for Joan was like a fairy tale. The depth of their total commitment to each other through sickness and health should be the building stone of any foundation in life. Their courage to uplift each other and enhance all that they had, their love, children, grandchildren and friends.

As a father even when as a child we where separated he stood up for me and imparted wisdom and knowledge that will remain with me for all eternity.

He always gave of himself and never expected anything in return, always going the extra mile for everyone. There is not a moment in time that I can remember that he has ever said no to those in need, even if it meant he had to sacrifice something himself.

To us all both dad and Joan have brought so much joy and happiness, teaching us the true value of unconditional love and the sanctity of marriage and no matter what storm comes your way, you can overcome all through love.

My praise to Joan is that she was like Joan de Arc a warrior in her own rights; she was very brave right until the end and was concerned about daddy and what would happen to him. Such love and dedication even in the final moments should be a lesson to us all.

Dad been very ill all these months always said he was ok and kept his illness away from most of us, to protect his beloved and make sure that she knew that she was loved and that he would be there for her to the end.

Dad did not like to admit or let on that he was ill, he was a man who took pride in his life and most of all his wife.

His wish was to be with Joan and now together they shall be for all eternity, its only fitting that these two are laid to rest together as we celebrate not just dad but mom too.

United we stand as a family today bonded by the love of our parents who have set an example that we should all follow.

I would like to thank Roy and Sandra for been more than friends and neighbours but family to both my dad and Joan over the years. Such unconditional love and deep spiritual bonds you had with Derek and Joan will be with us all for all eternity. As such I embrace you as family, for your friendship has gone far beyond friendship.

Herman has been a pillar in this time and I am glad that he is part of my family. For he and Talana I thank for the many hours they spent at the hospital and words of encouragement.

My partner Derek has stood by my side through all of this from the 1st day we brought dad into hospital without question. He has been wonderful and supportive and I thank him for been there with me in the last moments of dad’s life.

To the rest of my family, let us stand united today in love and celebrate our parents lives with dignity and unconditional love.

 

The funeral will take place on Friday the 4th Of July at 2pm.

Its been a difficult week and of course this week that is to come to tie up all the loose ends with his estate.

Today though I have been sleeping again due to an infection that has reared its ugly head again and I think its due to all the stress of the past month and running around trying to tie up the estate and funeral arrangements.

I am so happy that I have gained a new family during all of this as we where not that close and now we have become even closer and they now know me for whom I am and see that I truly have my fathers nature of goodwill to all mankind and integrity

I will endeavour to carry on dad's legacy and principles.

I will update you all again

Love Mark

Please don't let life or a death of a loved one take you off the path of life, we should celebrate their lives and live a healthy life and remember their examples that they have set.

No comments: